- Top Ten Reasons To See a Naturopathic Doctor
- 1. You prefer to use natural substances
- If you want to live long and feel good, you need to lead a clean and healthy lifestyle and put natural and healthy things into your body. A naturopathic doctor can help you design a practical diet and choose the natural remedies that are best for you.
2. You want your natural health information to be the best for YOU
- Naturopathic doctors are extensively trained in all aspects of natural therapies. They are the recognized experts in their field. You may find that although other health care providers may offer limited advice on natural supplements, the advice of a thoroughly trained expert who knows your individual needs is far superior.
3. You want to make informed decisions about your health
- Naturopathic doctors are not the second opinion from another doctor with the same training that the first doctor had. Naturopaths have a completely different philosophy and set of therapeutic methods. The typical user of alternative medicine is highly educated and wants to make their own decisions based upon personal experience.
4. You are confused about contradictory health claims
- There are so many health claims in advertising that it is mind-boggling. Take for instance a few common food items: Is red meat bad? Is chicken good? Is butter bad? Are carbohydrates bad? Which diet book is right for you? The best answers to these questions for your particular needs are often very different from the latest diet book or study, and might surprise you!
5. You are concerned about the side effects of drugs
- An unfortunate fact about commonly prescribed drugs is that, although they may be effective, they have undesirable side effects, which can be more severe than the symptoms the drugs were designed to cure!
6. You want to cure the problem, not mask symptoms
- For many chronic diseases the drugs only stop or help your symptoms. Once the drugs are discontinued the symptoms reappear, often much worse. You will find that over time higher doses are needed to achieve the same effect. A Naturopathic Doctor chooses natural remedies to address the underlying cause of the symptoms.
7. You are not sick enough for drugs
- Drugs are designed to be powerful and effective, and are often not appropriate for relatively minor complaints (certainly not minor to the person experiencing them). Wellness medicine is particularly suited for naturopathic doctors.
8. You may have uncommon and complex health issues
- Naturopaths have a broad understanding of many aspects of medicine. Many people with uncommon health issues seek out naturopathic doctors when they realize that modern medicine can not help them.
9. Naturopaths treat you as a person, not a disease
- Modern medicine is based almost exclusively on the diagnosis of a disease; then you are labeled and given the same treatment that everyone else with that disease gets. If it doesn't work "the patient has failed the treatment." One of the core philosophies in naturopathy is that we treat people, not diseases.
- 10. Modern medicine can't diagnose or help you
- Sometimes, despite thousands of dollars in the latest medical tests, no cause can be found for your symptoms. If this has happened to you, don't worry, be happy! Shouldn't you be glad that there is nothing wrong with you? In the absence of a diagnosis or an organic cause for the symptoms, drugs and surgery are not indicated. Your Naturopathic Doctor won't need to diagnose you, and CAN help you!
Fantastic new books!
Complementary and Alternative Medical Lab Testing is chock full of references for over 100 diseases.
Nutritional Genetics is also a referenced resource with sections on over 100 diseases.
Great Health Quotes has wonderful quotations about health, healing, disease, doctors, and medicine, and it's FREE.
A Brief Introduction to Naturopathy and Naturopathic Medicine describes the history and modalities. It's also FREE.