| Propylthiouracil, PTU
Propylthiouracil is a thiourea antithyroid agent. Propylthiouracil binds to thyroid peroxidase and thereby inhibits the conversion of iodide to iodine.
thiourea antithyroid agent
Propylthiouracil is used to treat hyperthyroidism.
Propylthiouracil may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
* skin rash
* abnormal hair loss
* upset stomach
* loss of taste
* abnormal sensations (tingling, prickling, burning, tightness, and pulling)
* joint and muscle pain
* decreased white blood cells
* decreased platelets
Some side effects can be serious. The following symptoms are uncommon, but if you experience any of them, call your doctor immediately:
* sore throat
* unusual bleeding or bruising
* right-sided abdominal pain with decreased appetite
* yellowing of the skin or eyes
* skin eruptions
Fantastic new books!
CAM Therapies has studies on natural therapies for over 100 diseases.
CAM Labs lists lab tests for 100 diseases.
Nutritional Genetics is a fantastic resource.